Thursday, August 25, 2005

MY House, HIS Door

I met quite a number of new acquaintances today - from two different workshops. Well, the nature of both workshops was just about the same, as they were dedicated to "shed some lights" on how to go about researching a topic. During the morning workshop, I have to say that I first of all, was lost at what the Prof. was talking about, and second, I was just too eager for him to stop walking about in front of the class. He was an interesting man though, very brilliant in his thinking and a jovial one too.
The overall big picture that he was talking about revolved around the researcher being able to back up his or her data - by that - having to have the hypothecation (will have check on the word later), analysis, evidence and judgment. I think, there's one more that I cannot recall. I know ... heavy stuff huh ... The thing with me this morning was that my brain just refused to work when it sensed that something "serious" was on the way. I remembered jotting down "The Anatomy of Judgment", and other scribbles that I might now have forgotten what they were all about. But, I do remember his necktie - red & black of colors. hehehehe, not neatly done. though
The next talk, by the second presenter wasn't as abstract as by the first one. I could still relate when he was talking about anthropology, ethnography, autoethnobiography and Edward Sapir. Now that was a name that sound really familiar! At least it got me geared up. The discussion was the one that I particularly enjoyed most. The other two members in the group were Swiss students who plan to pursue their postgrad studies soon. So, it was kind of interesting to talk about your research with ppl of a different background - Cat (Business) and Giorgio (Film and Media Studies) - and of course, the presenter, who also joined us during the discussion. He is an anthropologist and was really helpful. And he also bites his nails, hahahahaha ... looks rather bad too (the nail biting habit, I mean) ... His nails are cute but extremely short and jagged ...
I really looked forward to the workshop in the afternoon, as I have enjoyed the previous sessions held. And Jeanne, the professor, is wonderful. I like this workshop series better as they very often offer more generic guidelines for research - in which you will find some of them useful in your studies - nothing like the one I had earlier (it was useful, but my brain was in a shock to absorb the abstract ideas, given the time - as early as 9am mind you!). Since this time around I enrolled for the evening class, I didn't get to meet my friends from the earlier workshops. Instead, I made several new friends in the session today. One is a Malaysian lady, who have just arrived in Perth two weeks ago. She is doing nursing, and there's Beth, a nurse as well. I did not have any group mates this time around except for this one OZ fella - Roger's his name. He's doing designs and he's funny, though he was really outspoken of his perceptions of things around him. Talkative too and he told me about his "brothers" and "sisters" around the globe. Hey, at least he likes nuts, hehehehe, cashew nuts and something that looked like "kacang botak".
In one of the activities, the Prof. put the two of us sitting opposite each other, holding one same pen. We were then asked to draw a house and any form of communication was not allowed. That activity I think was cool because it aimed to show which one of you is actually the pusher or the harmonious collectivist. I started with the roof and somehow Roger had to "navigate the pen (me & him) to drawing the door, hahahahaha, and I ended with a flower. When asked by Jeanne whose house was it - he said the house was mine, except for the door!
From the drawing activity, we learnt that a harmonious collectivist is always open to the surroundings, while the pusher is more likely to take control of what he or she is doing. So, imagine that if you come from the culture in which being a pusher is a no-no, the house that you have drawn is not yours. On the other hand, if you are the pusher, the house will likely be yours. It is something concerning critical distance, especially when you are dealing with critiques. We had the activity as we told Jeanne that we think that coming up with critiques is so very challenging. She did elaborate on this point well, but I am just not going to regurgitate more ... *wink* ... info overload!
I had really a nice day (a fulfilling one too), made several new friends, and "built a house" (so much of "Critique-ing" huh!). And last sentence - be distrustful of sucessful interviews! hahahahahaha ... :)

No comments: